Basic question: how to make books appear in frontpage?

Started by eldiegoefe, 19 April 2011, 00:18:15

Previous topic - Next topic
A financial contribution is greatly appreciated as a support, to help us to keep live the project.
If you like this project you can donate some piece of BitCoin to this address: bc1qy5tgq6tvrckac2a57unxvqcnxamrvhduve9sj9

eldiegoefe

Hola! I'm really new to Joomla and ABook, i guess i'm asking something very basic but anyway, I need some help.

I installed ABook through the Extensions Manager in Joomla (file: com_abook_1_1_0.tgz). I manually add the directories abook and abook_file to the image directory. Then I am able to upload pictures, setup categories and add books. But once I add two or three just to test, I can't find any module to add to the template. The question is: after I upload some books, how do I see them on the pages of my site? I was expecting to find a module or plugin that I can set to appear somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I can explain it better in spanish, but can't do it in italian!

Gracias y saludos a todos!

A financial contribution is greatly appreciated as a support, to help us to keep live the project.
If you like this project you can donate some piece of BitCoin to this address: bc1qy5tgq6tvrckac2a57unxvqcnxamrvhduve9sj9

eldiegoefe

I'll try to answer myself. I found that I could add ABOOK items (author, book, category, etc) creating a menu. So I created a menu, and then created a module to contain the menu, and then I send that module to some position on the template.

Now there are some things I'd like to know if are already built on ABOOK (I should open a new thread I guess...) or if you plan to develop:
1. One more field for setting the "Collection" (diferent sets of books under the same editor).
2. Use different pattern for clasification: same book could be Science Fiction and European Author (can't select both on "Category" field). I'd like to be able to use menus to list them by genre or country, etc.
3. List all the authors of the books without having to add one by one as menu items.

ABOOK seems to be great, I think I'll learn how to use it quite soon. Thanks for coding it!

dario

Hola eldiegoefe y bienvenido aqui!!  ;)
Pero vamos ablar english  :D

Well, you replied by yourself on how to publish Abook items. Congratulations, for who is new to Joomla this can be tricky.

For the other questions:
1. Actually this function is not implemented. What should be the usage? Only a description or a menu item to show all books in a "Collection"? Or when you see a book you can also see a link for the same "Collection"?
2. This will be a feature in future versions, called "tag management". Similar to tags applied to articles into blogs.
3. Also this can/will be present in future versions.

Keep in mind that new features will be available only in the new version of Joomla, the 1.6. In this days Federica is working hard to develop Abook for Joomla 1.6, but few time is available for this  :(

Happy Abook-ing!
[url=http://www.knoppix.it]Knoppix italia[/url]
[url=http://www.disconnessi.org]Stacca la spina![/url]
[url=http://www.informatizzati.org]Informatizzati.org: Computer, Linux, Windows, VMware[/url]